The new media revolution has been changing the media landscape for several years now, and we've had a front row seat to the action here at YouTube. People around the world have been using YouTube to report on the events and issues affecting their lives, shedding light on stories that might otherwise not be told and offering new perspectives on events covered by the traditional media. Today, to highlight these journalists on YouTube, we're announcing the launch of the Reporter channel type.
Reporter channels are just like other YouTube channel types –- such as Comedian, Guru and Musician -- but are specifically intended for citizens and professionals dedicated to informing others about the news and events in their local communities and around the world. This includes but is not limited to:
This includes but is not limited to:
- People who tote around their cameras offering "on-the-scene" coverage of local news and events
- Students producing their own weekly newscasts
- Active community members who conduct interviews with local leaders
- Engaged citizens who love providing commentary and analysis on important issues affecting the world at large
- Professional journalists using YouTube as an additional outlet for their work
If any of this sounds like you, simply go to the Channel Info page within My Account, click "Change channel type" and select "Reporter" from the pull-down menu. Soon, we'll start surfacing Reporter channels on their very own browse page under the Channels tab, so it will be much easier to find news content on YouTube.
We look forward to welcoming a new fleet of Reporters to the site, and don't forget to keep us posted on your best news content by emailing CitizenNews@youtube.com.
YouTube News & Politics