Everyday on the CitizenTube Channel (and @CitizenTube on Twitter), along with our curation partners @storyful, we look at how the top news stories are covered on YouTube. Every week we'll post a weekly recap of the top news stories of the week:
Here's this week's roundup. Feel free to tweak at will...
- Riots which began in Hackney, London but spread to other UK cities were captured by many on camera, showing looters attacking property , pushing back riot police and robbing passersby in broad daylight.
- We were inspired by the words of the father of one of the young men killed in Birmingham, who called on the looters to “calm down and go home” .
- With the US credit rating downgraded and world economies in freefall, we watched the rise and fall of the markets.
- In a week where Syrian troops stepped up their violent repression of protesters across the country, we saw videos of the destruction and were amazed to see protesters still marching, defiant.
- We collected some videos of the refugee camps in East Africa still growing as desperate people flee drought and famine in Somalia
- We were also impressed by the speedy skills of Shinji Saito, the new yoyo World Champio
- The political campaign trail in the U.S. produced some YouTube highlights this week such as Governor Romney's "Corporations are people too" moment.